Lake Taupo Trout Fishing And Guiding Report For The 02nd Of December 2013

Shane French /

December 2, 2013


Hey all,

Boom and we are into December.

I have had two massive missions this week, one of them very carefully planned out and the other one a spur of the moment trip. In between I have fished the Waitahanui and the Hinemaiaia. It has been a busy week!

First up a couple of notices. We are running a few prize draws on the Taupo Fishing face book page if you would like to sign up for that. There will be free Nymphs given away, drawn by lesley two or three times a month. Some photo contests are coming up too. So if you would like to keep up to date with what Alex and I are doing out there, sign up.

I am getting back into guiding, (in a way) as of now. If you would like to know more about this new service then please visit my guiding page. It is a low cost guiding service based around teaching skills needed for trout fishing and NOT the four to eight hours slogging it out on the rivers. Most anglers would benefit from this style of guiding and it will not set you back financially!

IMG_3466At the time we concocted the plan to get into the piece of water we wanted to fish, I did not look at the long range weather forecast. I mean we had been having fine settled weather why should it have changed. After making the plans and doing the math on entry, exit and walking times I then discovered a small weather bomb was going to hit. We actually had a plan B for this river but it meant a longer day on the river and it was going to be a long day anyway. Plan A was going to be hard going but the beat was short and then it was a relatively easy track to get back to the car on. Unfortunately there is a crossing that has to be done at the start of the beat and if the river is up, that can be a bit dodgy. The day we planned for this trip was Thursday and this was the day the weather was meant to really come in. We had rain Tuesday that bought the river level up a bit but Wednesday was a beautiful day and the level dropped once again. However like most parts of the country we were getting the vast majority of our rain at night and like clock work the heavens opened up Wednesday evening and we had constant rain throughout the night.

IMG_3467I was up at 3am Thursday morning and checking the river levels. It had come up a fraction but the forecast was for intermittent showers until late afternoon when it was really going to pack it in. The decision was made to “go for it” and I picked Alex up at 4am and we were off. The walk in was going to take a good two hours if everything went to plan and I had my allocated rests. There is only one trib above the entry point into the river and we had to cross this 1.5 KM before we dropped down. It was up somewhat and definitely had colour to it. We thought hard about doing the other beat but that meant a fairly nasty hike back up a hill and then an even worse drop in to the river then a very long 4km beat. I wasn’t up for that so we stuck with plan A.

IMG_3433Finding the entry point was a piece of cake and getting down to the river was easy. However the river was quite colored and for the first time ever I didn’t pull a trout from this first piece of water. We decided that the river was rising a wee bit and so moved up to the crossing from hell! Alex took one look at it and said “no way Bro, we are going to die” however I knew it looked harder than it actually was and so with some gentle encouragement we linked up and moved out into the current. It was deep, the rocks were super slippery but the flow was not strong and so our link up and four feet on the ground approach saw us safe on the other side, somewhat wet and cold, (we are wet wading all the time now). We then had a four hundred meter slog over some of the nastiest rockiest terrain I have encountered. The warm weather and low water levels meant that algae has really taken off on some of these rivers and this one was shocking. I was physically shattered by the time we got to the next available piece of water! We stopped and munched out on scroggin, chocolate and power bars. The rain had disappeared and there was blue sky above us. This beautiful piece of water also drew a blank and I was starting to have doubts about the status of the water. It looked like it was clearing a bit but we should have hit a trout in that pool. Up we went. The next piece of water saw Alex’s indicator get ripped under and a massive flash of brownie Orange show deep in the gloom of the pool. His hook pulled after an excited “whoop” and we were left with that deflated feeling you get after dropping a decent trout. I decided at that point to go big with my Nymphs. I swapped out to a 4.5 mm Tungsten Reaper for added weight and a #10 Black Bodied Winged Reaper as my point fly. This did the trick for me and from there up it was a fish, (or two) a pool. The runs had them as well. We hooked up into about fifteen trout in the end with the biggest being about six pound. As always we dropped some bigger ones :) We walked back out onto the track that was going to take us home and then the heavens opened up once again and it poured on us. No amount of wet weather gear could hold this out for long and we were cold and wet by the time we reached our car at 4.00 pm. it was a great day and a real adventure.

DSCF0109So on Friday I had an epiphany, why not get up early, walk up to Rangers on the Tauranga Taupo and fish the upper section for the 1st of December. Problem was Alex had to do family things but was happy to get in early and back by just after lunch. So with that in mind I picked him up at 3am!! Yes we walked to Rangers by torch light. I know the track quite well and so was aware we were going to have to hop in the river at some stage, so when the track petered out we hoped in and did the first of our crossings for the day. WOW this river is one slippery customer, I am definitely putting studs in the bottom of my boots. Doing river crossings in the dark is a new experience. We were up at Rangers at ten to five and decided to hoof it up a bit and give whoever else came on the river some clean water to fish. The river was up at about .54 as we had some rain in the hills over night. This extra volume made crossings tough work. Much to the horror of Alex all the trout were taking Glo Bugs. Most of these fish were well spent and ugly as. We found them to be holding in large groups at the tail of runs and pools. Even though they had been in there for some time they fought well and it was great fun. Just as we were really getting into it, two anglers came (literally)  running up the river. When we spoke to them they knew someone was above them and wanted to catch up. Its all good its not our water, its everyone’s but we don’t like sharing too much and so we ate some food had a hot cup of coffee, (because it was freezing) and walked out. We encountered seven other anglers on the way down with the most successful being a smart boy fishing the area called the Cathedral. he had pulled five out of here and was solidly into his sixth when we passed him. Its a long walk back to the car park from Rangers especially when you have been up from 200 AM, probably wont do that one again.

IMG_3461The Hinemaiaia has fish above the Winter limit but not as many as I would have expected. I had two reports from friends who fish this every year and they were a bit disappointed this season. Angling pressure was intense by the sound of it too. The Red Beastie did well for one of my clients!

I fished the Waitahanui early in the week and apart from a few big Browns it looked pretty empty. The cicadas were going nuts however :)

So thats it for this week. check out my guiding page if you get a chance, sigh up to us on Face Book for some freebies and I hope to see you on the water at some stage.

Regards Shane